Monday, February 5, 2007

Bright Lights, Big City, by Jay McInerney

This weekend I read one of the strangest novels I have ever read. Bright Lights, Big City tells the tale of a man caught up in drugs, sex, and a high-class magazine editors job. The book is told in an odd tense: "You excuse your way up to the bar and order vodka" as if the reader is the person being described. The book follows this man as he is eventually fired from his job because of a bad editing job on a French piece, to the ending where he reminisces about his mother with his brother Michael. The anti hero protagonist of this story seems to live life to its fullest wherever he goes, guided by his friend Tad Allagash. Jay McInerney paints a vivid picture with sensory detail when describing people and places. I found the book depressing of sorts, because I felt for the main character through his trials and tribulations. All and all a good read, the writing style captivated me and has lead me to perhaps read some of this authors other works.

No comments: